Assumption of Risk
You are responsible for determining whether or not you have the appropriate fitness level to participate in activities at the Recreation Center. You are strongly encouraged to consult with your health care provider before starting any exercise program or new activity.
Your participation at the Recreation Center is voluntary. By voluntarily using the Recreation Center, you assume all risk for any harm or injury you sustain.
Consider the consequences of your actions and do not engage in behavior that may harm yourself, other patrons, or damage equipment or the facility.
Use of the Recreation Center is a privilege. Members and guests shall respect the rights of others and display acceptable and appropriate behavior while participating in the Recreation Center. UL Rec Sports reserves the right to refuse access or remove any individuals whose behavior is inappropriate or in violation of University rules and regulations or the Code of Student Conduct. Your cooperation is appreciated.
Inappropriate behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal abuse
- Physical abuse
- Obscene gestures or actions
- Abuse of staff in any form
- Profane or indecent language
- Failure to follow an established policy
If a participant, member, or guest in a UL Rec Sports program or facility is directed to leave a facility, program, contest or activity for misconduct:
- He/she must leave the facility immediately
- Rec Sports staff will inform the individual(s) of the necessity to see a Rec Sport's Supervisor Staff member for misconduct, inappropriate behavior or ejection
- He/she shall immediately be ineligible from further access or competition in any program or facility until he/she have met with the designated senior staff member
- A Rec Sports Professional Staff member will call or email the individual(s) and arrange a meeting; if a sanction is imposed, it will begin after the meeting
- If a sanction is necessary from the Recreation Center, he/she may not participate in any Recreational Sports programs within or outside of the Recreation Center
- If deemed appropriate, information regarding the incident may be shared by Rec Sports staff with the Dean of Students and/or the University Police Department
Participants are responsible for reading, understanding and abiding by all rules and regulations of the Recreation Center.
- Not all rules are posted in immediate areas. If a staff member requests your cooperation, please adjust your behavior
- If you have questions about a specific policy, please see Rec Sports staff
- Failure to comply with staff instructions and proper facility use may result in loss of facility and/or membership privileges
- Rec Sports reserves the right to render judgment and decisions on policies not specifically covered
- Rec Sports reserves the right to call the University Police Department as necessary
- Participants using the Recreation Center facility and equipment assume the liability of and agree to compensate Rec Sports for any damages other than normal wear and tear
- Contact Rec Sports staff should an accident, injury, or related incident occur. In addition, report any piece of equipment that is not functioning properly so it can be evaluated and serviced promptly
- Use of informal activity spaces when not scheduled/reserved, including priority scheduling, is first-come, first-served
Dance Studio (101A), Judo Room (Multipurpose Room A), and Training Studio (Multipurpose Room B) are not available for open recreation beyond approved reservations
- No organized activities except those sponsored or approved by UL Rec Sports are permitted
The Recreation Center may not be used for private or commercial purposes unless such activity has been approved by UL Rec Sports. Examples of prohibited activity include, but are not limited to:
- Organized athletic team/individual practices or workouts
- Personal training
- Private instruction
Use of the Student Fitness Center is a privilege that may be revoked for not following policies of the facility. Please review the policies below carefully. They are in place for your safety and the comfort of all patrons.
Fitness Center users must be 17 years of age or older and must provide proof of age upon request.
- Patrons are required to wear closed-toe, athletic, rubber-soled shoes in the Fitness Center
- Sleeveless shirts must not have an arm opening that is larger than one fist below the underarm and must cover the wearer's midriff
- Shorts and pants must be worn at the waist
- Jeans, denim, or cargo pants are not allowed
- Excessive clothing or clothing worn for the purpose of increased sweat production is not permitted
- Rec Sports reserves the right to deem any attire in question innappropriate for the Fitness Center
- Profanity and yelling are not permitted in the Fitness Center
Personal property such as books and back packs must be stored in lockers
- Bags are not allowed in the Fitness Center
- Neither Rec Sports nor its employees are responsible for lost or stolen property
- All patrons must have a clean towel to wipe off equipment after use
- Weight belts are not permitted on upholstered exercise equipment to prevent premature wear and tear
- Users who break equipment due to misuse or misconduct may be suspended from the facility
- Food is not permitted in the Fitness; Only clear drinks in closed bottles are permitted
- Collars/clips are required for all barbell lifts
- Spotters are strongly recommended when lifting all free weights.
- Do not move or rearrange weights or equipment.
- For the prevention of injury to yourself or others, and damage to floor or equipment, weights may not be dropped or thrown
- Olympic lifts must be performed on the Olympic platforms
- Only rubber, bumper plates are allowed to be used on the Olympic lifting platforms
- Do not stand on benches
- Weight benches may not be placed within 5 feet of fire exits or extinguishers\
Failure to comply with Rec Sports policies may result in a loss of all Rec Sports privileges
Only rock climbing shoes or running/athletic shoes will be permitted in climbing area
- No bare feet, No Vibrams
- Loose chalk is not permitted, chalk use is limited to chalk balls
- All belayers must be approved by Fitness Center staff prior to rope climbing
- Roped climbing activities may only occur under the supervision of a climbing wall monitor during open Rock Wall hours
- Bouldering may occur anytime the Fitness Center is open with exceptions for scheduled classes, route setting, rentals, and roped climbing hours
- No part of the boulderer's body may exceed the red bouldering line